The Center offers the following courses :
- Arabic Translation Studies
- English for Academic Purposes
- Communication Skills (and French as a Foreign Language)
- Natural Language Processing/Linguistic Data Processing
- History of Sciences/Philosophy
- Selected Research Projects
- “Affordable Design and Entrepreneurship – Morocco” (2011-2012) in collaboration with Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering and Babson college (United States). Project funded by the Moroccan Fulbright Alumni Association and Olin College.
Project Leader (Prof. Soudi). Projects co-leader (Professor Benqliliou)
The project aims at Educating students to create innovative solutions to social challenges through design and entrepreneurship that are more just and sustainable and (ii) facilitating greater variety in student participation and preparation, and to contribute to the development of a diverse, globally-engaged, science and engineering workforce.
- English-to-Arabic Knowledge-Based Machine Translation, Research Project funded by the Moroccan National Center for Scientific and Technical Research (PROTARS III).
Project Leader (Prof. Soudi)
The project aims at building an interlingua-based English-to-Arabic Machine Translation
- The development of linguistic tools that support Human and Machine Translation between Arabic and Italian.
This project is in collaboration with « Istituto di Linguistica Computazionale », PISA, Italy and is jointly funded by CNRST (Morocco) and the National Center for Research (Italy)
Moroccan Project leader (Prof. Soudi). Italian Project Leader (Prof. Picchi)
- Soudi A., Neumann, G., Zbib, R. and Farghaly A. (2012 see John Benjamins contract on page 7 below): “Challenges for Arabic Empirical Machine Translation”. In John Benjamins’ Natural NLP series.
- Soudi A., Van den Bosch A. and Neumann G (2007): Arabic Computational Morphology: knowledge-based and Empirical Methods. Editors: Soudi A., Van den Bosch A. and Neumann G. In Kluwer/Springer’s series on Text, Speech, and Language Technology (series editors Nancy Ide and Jean Veronis).
- Soudi, A., Gibbon, D., Neumann, G. and Roux, J. C. (Editors) (2008). Proceedings of the Alexander von Humboldt Kolleg Human Language Technologies in Africa: Status and Prospects. Morocco, 2008.
- Soudi A., Van den Bosch A. and Neumann G (2007). Introductory chapter to the book Arabic Computational Morphology: knowledge-based and Empirical Methods, Editors: Soudi A., Van den Bosch A. and Neumann G. In Kluwer/Springer’s series on Text, Speech, and Language Technology (series editors Nancy Ide and Jean Veronis).
- Habash, N. Soudi, A. and Buckwalter, T. G (2007). Notes on Arabic Transliteration, In Arabic Computational Morphology: knowledge-based and Empirical Methods. Kluwer/Springer’s series on Text, Speech, and Language Technology (series editors Nancy Ide and Jean Veronis), Editors: Soudi A., Van den Bosch A. and Neumann G.
- Cavalli-Sforza, V. and Soudi A. (2007). Arabic Computational Morphology : A trade-off between multiple operations and multiple stems. In Arabic Computational Morphology: knowledge-based and Empirical Methods. Kluwer/Springer’s series on Text, Speech, and Language Technology (series editors Nancy Ide and Jean Veronis), Editors: Soudi A., Van den Bosch A. and Neumann G.
- Van den Bosch, A., Marsi, E. and Soudi A. (2007). An integrated memory-based system for morphological analysis, part-of-speech tagging, and stem identification of Arabic. In Arabic Computational Morphology: knowledge-based and Empirical Methods. Kluwer/Springer’s series on Text, Speech, and Language Technology (series editors Nancy Ide and Jean Veronis), Editors: Soudi A., Van den Bosch A. and Neumann G.
- A. Soudi (2011). Larger Natural Language Processing Applications, In Proceedings of the research to Applications Conference, Monastir, Tunisia.
- A. Soudi (2010). Information Technology Industry: case of natural language processing systems, Abdelhadi Soudi. In proceedings of the University-Research Industry: partnering opportunities, Rabat, Morocco.
- Abdelhadi Soudi (2008). Issues in the analysis and generation of Arabic. In Proceedings of conference Human Language Technologies in Africa: Status and Prospects. Morocco, 2008.
- Soudi, A. and Cavalli-Sforza, V. (2006). IMORPHE: An Inheritance and equivalence based morphology description compiler. In Proceedings of Language Resource Evaluation Conference, Genova, Italy, May 2006.
- Marsi, E., van den Bosch, A., Soudi, A. (2005). Memory-based morphological analysis generation and part-of-speech tagging. In Proceedings of the ACL workshop on computational approaches to semitic languages, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA.
- Kabbaj, A., Bouzouba, K. and Soudi, A. (2005). Amine Platform: an Artificial Intelligence Environment for the Development of Intelligent Systems. Paper accepted for presentation at the Information and Communication Technologies International Symposium, Tetouan, Morocco, June 2005.
- Soudi, A. and Eisele, A. (2004). Generating an Arabic Full-form lexicon for Bidirectional Morphological Lookup. In Proceedings of Language Resource Evaluation Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, May 2004.
- Monaco, G. and Soudi, A. (2004). An Emerging Transcontinental Collaborative Research and Educational Agenda in Human Language Technologies. In Proceedings of Language Resource Evaluation Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, May 2004.
- Soudi, A. (2004). Challenges in the Generation of Arabic sentences from Interlingua representations. In Proceedings of the conference “Traitement Automatique des Langues Naturelles” TALN’2004, Fez, Maroc, Avril 2004.
- Marsi E., Soudi, A., and Van den Bosch, A (2003). Memory-based Arabic Morphological Analysis. In Proceedings of the 14th Conference of Computational Linguistics in the Netherlands, Anthwerp, Belgium, December 2003.
- Soudi, A. and Cavalli-Sforza, V. (2003). Interfacing an Arabic morphology and sentence generation system with an English-to-Arabic Knowledge-based Machine Translation System. In Proceedings of the Information Technology Workshop, jointly organized by the National Science Foundation (USA) and ENSIAS, March, 2003, Morocco.
- Cavalli-Sforza, V., Soudi, A. (2003): Enhancements to a Morphological Generator Motivated by English-to-Arabic MT. In Proceedings of the Eight International Symposium on Social Communication, Center for Applied Linguistics, SANTIAGO DE CUBA, January 20-24 2003.
- Soudi, A., Cavalli-Sforza, V. (2002c): Arabic Morphology Generation: A two-step strategy. In Proceedings of the Arabic and Information Technology International Conference, organized by “le Haut Conseil de la Langue Arabe/[The High Council of Arabic]”, Algiers, Algeria, 28-29 December 2002.
- Soudi A., Cavalli-Sforza, V. and Jamari, A. (2002b). A Prototype English-to-Arabic Interlingua-based Machine Translation System. In Proceedings of The Arabic Processing Workshop, Language Resources Evaluation Conference, 2002, Las Palmas, Spain.
- Soudi, A. Cavalli-Sforza, V. and Jamari, A. (2002a). Arabic Noun System Generation. In Proceedings of The International Conference on Arabic Processing, Lamanaba University, April 2002, Tunisia.
- Soudi, A., Violetta Cavalli-Sforza (2001). A Computational Lexeme-Based Treatment of Arabic Morphology. In Proceedings of the Association for Computational Linguistics, Arabic Processing Workshop, Toulouse, July 2001, France.
- Cavalli-Sforza, V., Soudi. A, and Teruko M. (2000). Arabic Morphology Generation Using a Concatenative Strategy. In Proceedings of the 1st Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (NAACL 2000), Seattle, USA.
Faculty & Staff
- Full-time :
- Abdelhadi Soudi (Full Professor and Head of the Center)
- El Batoul Bargach
- Part-Time :
- Said Assara
- Meryem Bekkali
- Bennacer El Bouazzati
- Allal Ragoug
- Mohammed Hamdaoui
- Hicham Jirari
- Jamal Elqasri
- Mohammed Qasserass
- Houssine Qasserrass
- Fatiha Oublal
- Nadia Naciri
- Fatima Mghari
- Fatiha Talha
- Rhizlane Tahiri
- Aicha Bettioui
- Najmeddine Soughati
- Administrative Staff :
- Mouhssine Daoudi
Events & news
- March 09-11, 2012 : «New Prospects for Science and Education in the MENA region», Hotel Ryad Mogador Kasbah, Marrakech, Morocco.